Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mohn family garden


3-28-2012

Well, just more than a month ago I planted a handful of seeds in one of those “Jiffy window sill
starter kits” that I purchased from The Home Depot. This thing uses dehydrated peat pellets (just add water) to germinated your seeds and house them until they are ready to transplant into your garden. It started out well enough. However, being my first endeavor with planting from seeds (gardening period) I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect. I followed the directions to the letter, but not all of my seedlings made it through to today. The cabbage and Brussels sprouts made a good showing followed by the cauliflower. The turnips did not make it at all. In all, I came out with 11 of the 24 I started with. I am not sure why, but it seems they grew too fast. They grew tall…fast, and the stems would not support the weight of the leaves. You will notice I added some support stakes in the new peat pots. The reason I chose to go into peat pots rather than planting
outside is simply weather related. We are not quite warm enough up here to start putting stuff outside. Also, (in my amateur opinion) they needed more room for root growth in order to stabilize themselves.

When I was getting the peat pots, I also bought some new pellets and corn seed. While clearing
out the mini greenhouse and getting all of the seedlings transplanted into new pots, I started rehydrating the new pellets and getting ready for round two. This time around I did 6 more turnip pellets, 6 more cauliflower pellets, and 12 corn pellets.

No comments:

Post a Comment